Well, the February edition of the Setting the Path e-magazine is out, and this is the Saint Valentine special – where we explore ways to measure improvements in your own life by what you can do for others – for those who haven’t subscribed, here’s a sneak peak of what’s inside.
It’s the gesture that counts
Who doesn’t like being given something? That cup of coffee from a workmate, those couple of extra coins from a stranger behind you in a queue when you’ve come up short. Sometimes those little things can leave a lasting impression that can linger on to become the good things you do. It’s called kindness. And believe it or not, someone out there has measured the positive effects it can have on you. He’s Dr David Hamilton, author of “Why Kindness is Good for You”. In his research he has found five positive side effects from acts of kindness that can even save lives.
1. Kindness makes you happier – doing something for someone else can give a profound sense of being ‘a good person’, and on a biochemical level, that ‘good feeling’ is from elevated levels of dopamine – an actual physical reaction to doing something nice.
2. Kindness gives us healthier hearts – the emotional warmth generated by an act of kindness releases the hormone oxytocin – which through a chain of chemical reactions reduces blood pressure and stress on the heart.
3. Kindness slows ageing – once again connected to the release of oxytocin, the hormone reduces the free radicals in the blood stream which cause ageing as well as acting on the vagus nerve which controls inflammation in the body.
4. Kindness makes for better relationships – it does this by reducing the emotional distance between two people and strengthens their bonding. Historically, strong emotional ties were necessary to survive in the caveman world, so we’ve become genetically wired to be kind, just to stay alive – which helps explain the physical benefits we’ve already covered.
5. Kindness is contagious – we are easily inspired to be kind, something nice for us becomes a good turn for someone else, the old ‘paying it forward’ principle. A case documented by the New England Journal of Medicine involved an anonymous 28-year old walking into a transplant clinic and donating a kidney. So many relatives and friends were touched by this altruistic gesture, that ten more people received donated kidneys as a result.
So the next time you see someone who deserves a little bit of kindness, particularly in light of Queensland’s latest floods, you can jump in and help, it’s good for you and them.
Don’t forget to check out our website for those monthly specials at https://www.settershealthcentre.com.au/special-offer
Want to know more? Subscribe to our monthly e-magazine ‘Setting the Path’ for all the latest in preventative measures, Pain Relief in Townsville, Bowen Therapy bits, Old School remedies and so much more. Join our mailing list now.
Are you in need of immediate pain relief?
To contact us immediately about a Bowen Therapy session tailored specifically for you.
The Inaugural Bowen Therapy Clinic of Townsville began at Setter’s Health Centre in November of 1991. Contact us about a Bowen Therapy session today! [gallery ids="9164,7694,7830,8253,8254,7732,8308,8168,9447"] The Inaugural Bowen Therapy Clinic of Townsville began at Setter’s Heal...Read More
Bowen Therapy Pain Relief Townsville EST 1991... Welcome To Setter's H.C. Bowen Therapy Pain Relief Townsville EST 1991. Are you looking for pain relief in Townsville? Try our gentle healing technique at Setter’s Health Centre. We employ the Bowen Therapeutic Technique – Bowen Therapy, which ...Read More
Bowen Therapy Townsville... Pain Relief Specialists in Townsville for 26 years. Contact Setter's H.C. for effective relief of Pain & Injury. Health Funds Approved! Bowen Therapy Townsville: Today’s lifestyles demand more and more from our bodies without always giving anything in return. We ar...Read More
Our backs have been with us for a long time…and not surprisingly sore low backs just as long. If your Upper back is hurting, first of all, make yourself more comfortable. Take a long cushion with you, particularly in the car or at work. If you’re sitting for long periods, stand up and walk a...Read More
Bowen Therapy Townsville... Setter’s Health Centre has helped clients since 1991. Over the last 26 years we have offered a relaxed and professional environment for Bowen Therapy treatment. We are located right in the heart of the Medical Precinct of Pimlico in Townsville and have on-site car park...Read More
What is Bowen Therapy? & What can Bowen Therapy do for you? So you may have been been told by a friend to check out Bowen Therapy... So let us break this down!!! [hr] What Is Bowen Therapy? What is Bowen Therapy? What can Bowen therapy do for you? Setter's H.C. Presents The Gentle Healing Tec...Read More
When considering Bowen Therapy in Townsville for Lower Back Pain. It is important to note that our back has been with us for a long time…and not surprisingly sore backs just as long. If your lower back is hurting, first of all, make yourself more comfortable. Take a cushion with you, particularly ...Read More
Welcome to Setter’s Health Centre! Looking for pain relief in Townsville? Try our gentle healing technique at Setter’s Health Centre. We employ the Bowen Therapeutic Technique – Bowen Therapy, which is a dynamic system of muscle and connective tissue therapy that encourages the body to right ...Read More
Clearing your head With Bowen Therapy!... So what do you do if your plumbing is blocked? Well, if it's your house you'd call a plumber, right? But if it is your sinuses, would you call your Bowen Therapist? Perhaps you should. A nasal decongestant might clear the nose, but it may not do much good fo...Read More
Ask a question or book an appointment07 4728 8800
6 Fulham Road, PimlicoView Map
Bowen Therapy and Massage Therapy Specialists